The Misuse Of Drugs In Higher Institutions
Many college-going students have a drinking or drug problem.
A national report shows that a huge number of abusers are college students.
The risk of addiction is already high in young people within the age bracket of 18 to 24.
Trying to fit in socially is what lead many new students in colleges to start using drugs. It is easier to let go off your inhibitions after a few drinks and that's why many students are tempted to drink. A good number of pupils falls into dependence of drugs and booze after these become part of a habitual form of enjoying life.
There is also a very small chance for the people that are not in these institutions to use drugs as compared to those studying there.
Top Reasons Behind High Addiction Rates In College Students
The alarming rate of drug use in college may be attributed to
- Many students are unable to manage various demands, like studying, working part-time, completing their internship program, and socializing, and start using drugs to escape stress.
- Assignment Burdens
- The pressure to complete their assignments within the due dates leads more students to begin taking stimulants such as Adderall, which can help them to stay awake late at night for the studies.
- More often than not, commonly abused stimulants like Adderall are acquired without a genuine prescription.
- Being Interested In Something New
- Students tend to experiment whilst in college, exploring new aspects of both their personal and professional lives.
- It is almost usual among people at this age to explore and experiment with new things and experiences in life.
- Peer Pressure
- Students who are surrounded by their seniors who could be experimenting with recreational and performance-enhancing drugs are more than likely to attempt to use these substances for themselves.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Diet Tablets And Eating Issues At College
College students are exposed to higher vulnerability to develop eating disorders.
25% of all college students struggle with an eating disorder as specified by the National Institute Of Mental Health. To make the matters worse, the incidence rate of eating disorder among students is increasing, as shown by a study which concluded that in the last twenty years, the number of cases of a specific eating disorder has increased, both in men and women. This disorder is causing many students to turn to diet pill abuse in order to help them lose weight. This diet pill use is linked to common health issues and even cause death. Learn about diet pill abuse and eating disorders among college students.
College Drug Choices
College students are known to use almost every kind of drug.
A few substances, however, have been abused constantly by college students. Some of them are
- The consumption of alcohol is perhaps one of the most common substance-related problems on college campuses because a vast majority choose alcohol.
- It is also tricky to tell if a student is addicted to liquor or not because it is something that is used in many social events.
- Adderall also has the nickname of being a "study drug" and this medication along with some other stimulants is increasingly becoming popular with college students who are facing the pressure to meet all their academic requirements.
- Pot is now being used most by many students because many states have started legalizing it.
- Other states even have campuses tallying increased use of cannabis as opposed to alcohol.
- Ecstasy which became popular during the 90s is presently making a resurgence during the past few years in its pure form and is known as MDMA or Molly.
- The "party drug" is also used by the youths all over campuses, as they fall under the target age range for this drug.
- In many social events where musicians come to perform, you will never fail to come across students using Molly.
Alcohol And The Impact On College Students
By far, alcohol is in the position of being the most popular and dangerous drug on college campuses. Alcohol is always present in all the social gatherings in the colleges.
Most college pupils end up assuming more booze that non college students because its abuse during college is common and often excused.
Alcohol is used by majority of the population in the campuses.
The Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism have reported that nearly half of the population in colleges indulge in excessive drinking. Unmoderated alcohol drinking is not only detrimental to the drinker but also to other people in terms of troubles and violence it causes. Know about alcohol abuse among college students and the dangerous effects of alcohol on the health.
Greek Life And Misuse
The idea of family relationship fostered in fraternities and sorority groups is somewhat negated with the increasing alcohol and drug culture that are common among them.
Survey shows that fraternity and sorority members are more predisposed to prescription drug abuse (with Adderall being the commonly abused substance among them).
Getting The Assistance Required For Dependency On Drugs Or Alcohol
Don't go through harsh times alone if you are a college pupil having troubles with heavy drinking, prescription drug overuse, or an unhealthy eating behaviour. We can help you get the best assistance in stopping this addiction. Do not delay your contact with us on 0800 772 3971 to understand how you can take your life back from substance abuse or addiction.