What Can I Have With Me In Therapy
After deciding to enrol for a rehab it is essential to understand the kind of items you will be allowed to bring into the centres along with any private items which the treatment centres will not allow.
Treatment centres are enforcing stringent rules when it comes to contrabands and prohibited objects inside the facility. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
You will be admitted to the clinic as you get to the rehab where the entrance process will start. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. Every clinic has rules on additional items.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
How To Know What To Pack
The rehab will always notify you of all the items that are not allowed in their facility. You can also get this info on their website. Many centres give their future patients a packing checklist which you can refer to. Contact your clinic's admission office if you don't find the material you need. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
Recommended Items List For Rehabilitation
The policy of every rehab centre is different, and some can be expected to be stricter than the others.
For the better part, you are recommended to carry the following
- The contact details of the people close to the patient.
- Jewels like your wedding ring or a watch that you wear every day and deem as necessary.
- You should not bring costly jewellery items with you.
- An alarm clock without a radio.
- It is important to get in touch with the rehab clinic before as some of them provide these objects.
- Existing prescription medication should have complete and accurate labels and original container.
- All the medicines must be up to date and prescribed by a certified doctor.
- All this information should be provided before the patient is admitted.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Bring along your credit cards or check book for settling the payment for new medications.
- Identification information.
- A phone card (when your clinic needs them for international phone calls).
- Your personal journal.
- Stamps and envelopes if you need to mail post.
- Some picture of close relatives and friends.
- You will be provided with reading materials by the rehab centres chosen by you.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- ADVISE Paperback books are more convenient than hardcovers.
What Type Of Clothing Is Necessary
Some centres have prescribed dress codes or limitations that you have to consider. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
Be aware that you shouldn't pack over the limits as your room could not be that spacious.
Attire for a week is sufficient as you should be able to wash your clothing in a laundry machine at your centre. Bring everyday clothes that require no special washing process.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday use, tennis shoes for activities/sports and flip-flops for the shower.
- Shirts For slightly revealing articles, you may bring cardigans or pullovers to cover it to avoid dress code policy issues.
- Shorts The dress code of the centres will determine the length of the shorts.
- A dress or two for any special events like appreciation or family night.
- Bathing suit One is more than enough.
- Bath robe.
- A belt.
- Caps or hats, although they may not be allowed indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
Carrying alcohol free makeup products is what many rehabs advocate for. While other centres may allow you to bring products with alcohol component as long as it is not listed as one of the top three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed
You should be taking along 30-day requirements of toiletries and beauty products, including
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling products (pump hair spray only)
- Hygiene products for women
- Shaving cream
Things You Cannot Bring To The Rehabilitation Centre
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. This is because they might compromise the recovery process of the patient or even put their lives at risk. Please find below the list of objects that are forbidden, it may be different from clinic to clinic
- Drugs and booze
- Opiates and other medicines
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Materials with sexual content
- Food and drink
- Toiletries and beauty products which contain alcohol (mouthwash, perfume, etc.)
- E cigarettes
- Unsealed over-the-counter medicines
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Video games and DVDs
- Sport equipment
- Clothing that is not descent
- Cleaning products (bleach, ammonia, etc.)
- Electronic products
- Games and playing cards
- Candles and incense
- Clothes with crude statements or photos of drug, violence, or alcohol on them
Playing cards, games and movies may be surprising contrabands for you but rules are rules. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. The centre houses most such items and you will enjoy access to them as per the guidelines of your centre.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. You will get 3 main meals, along with snacks and beverages. Inform your clinic before admission if you have special needs.
Some Items Are Allowed In Rehab While Others Are Not
Each rehab has its own rules which may be different to that of another rehab. A lot of things are off limits in nearly all centres, but these items might be allowed in some
- Computer Equipment
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- You may be allowed to smoke at some time.
- A limit to cartons available at these centres is usually established.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- These products must be new and unopened.
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- Music Players
- Devices without speakers or Internet access may be allowed by some centres.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Due to their dangerousness, razors may be forbidden in certain clinics.
- Most of the times, throwaway razors are permitted.
- Nail Cutters
- It depends with the requirement in the facility.
- Additional Items
- The rehabs allow you to come with things that will make you feel as comfortable as possible just like you are at home.
- Just double check with your rehab centre if these are indeed allowed before stuffing them into your luggage.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
In cases where you have brought a banned or prohibited item, just keep calm and cooperate. The person who brought you to the centres will be requested to carry the prohibited item's back home by the rehab centres. In case you came alone, the centre might hold the item for a certain period of time, during which someone from your family can collect it. In some cases, the centres may decide to store the items for you until your departure.
If you are traveling from a distant location and are arriving by air it is likely that you will not have a loved one with you during the admission to take the prohibited items back. We highly recommend that you consult and clarify with the rehab centre first about their policies and other things of concern. You would obviously want any prohibited items that you've brought along by mistake to be returned to you when you leave. In case they do not do temporary safe keeping, then inquire if they can facilitate shipment to someone you know.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple If you have all the information from the rehab, this process becomes less hectic. Ask for a checklist whenever available so you can use as a guide. Pack only what you need as an advice.
Get Assistance Today
Every reputable centre gives permission to its patients to bring with them things which will help them to stay comfortably inside the facility. We can help you identify a rehab centre that will be effective for you.
Call us now on 0800 772 3971 for help in finding a centre.